Subjects of Interest
- Christian Growth
- Personal Witness
- Articles related to the Salvation Army’s mission of preaching the Gospel and helping people in need, and articles that portray Salvation Army personnel & programs.
- We look for submissions that address contemporary topics and concerns in ways that inspire people to grow in faith.
- We welcome well-researched articles that help individuals and families live victoriously within the context of modern life (marriage, parenting, stress, loss, personal growth).
- Profiles of people and programs that are making a positive impact for the gospel.
- Articles should show by example and by careful research why the given topic, profile, or feature is meaningful for readers and how it can improve their lives.
The War Cry, now in its 137th year, represents the Army’s mission through news, profiles, commentaries and stories. It looks to bring people to Christ, help believers grow in faith and character, and promotes redemptive cultural practices from the perspective of Salvation Army programs, ministries and doctrines. Readership consists of those in and involved with The Salvation Army as well as the general public. It is distributed in bulk to Salvation Army locations for use in ministry, and to individual subscribers. Over the last two years the magazine’s design and content have been upgraded, its circulation moved from biweekly to monthly, and a new insert called “Intersection” added for use as a separate hand out to reach those unfamiliar with the meaning and vernacular of the Christian faith.
Published 12 times per year, with special issues at Christmas and Easter. The average circulation is 185,000 copies monthly, 1.7 million at Christmas and 1 million at Easter.
How to Submit
Please use our online submission form.
What to Submit
• Photographs (600 dpi)
• Fiction (Limited)
• Use New Living Translation
Payment made at time of acceptance
• $0.35 per word for first rights, one-time use articles
• $0.15 per word for reprints
Submit articles for a particular theme 60 days prior to the issue date.
Please limit these submissions to 800 – 1250 words.
Special Christmas and Easter Holiday editions focus on the meaning of the seasons, and include riveting accounts of spiritual rebirth. Submit 6 months prior to the publication of these issues.
Photos accompanying submissions, where appropriate, make submissions more compelling.
Brief news items and sidebar pieces also accepted.
Please limit these submissions to 100 – 400 words.
Response time for approval 3 to 4 weeks
War Cry Theme List – 2018
|January 2018||Sanctity of Life: Dealing with issues such as abortion, euthanasia, poverty, terrorism, and genocide.|
|February 2018||Welcome Home: Based on the Prodigal Son, stories and articles about people being restored or coming into relationship with Christ for the first time.|
|March 2018||Easter. (April 1)|
|April 2018||Praise Him! : Exploring multiple ways to praise the Lord, i.e., music, dramatic arts, poetry, etc.|
|May 2018||Salvation Army 101: to coincide with National Salvation Army week, an issue that explains what The Salvation Army is, its worldwide presence, how someone becomes a Salvationist, etc. (Reprint possibilities as well as adaptation for localized editions of the War Cry.)|
|June 2018||Holy Spirit, Come, O Come: To coincide with Pentecost (June 4), issue to center on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit as well as holiness of life.|
|July 2018||Heritage Edition — 1940s|
|August 2018||Kids! : Issue to center on children (0-12 years). Education, Salvation Army youth programming, child evangelism.|
|September 2018||Sleeves Rolled Up: The importance of vocation and work, Christian guidelines to careers, biblical view of work.|
|October 2018||Strangest Things: A Christian View of the Supernatural: How should we view things like the horoscope, fortune tellers, contacting the dead? Should Christians support shows and movies on the supernatural? What are the dangers?|
|November 2018||Someone cares: Consolation for the lonely, the ill, the prisoner.|