Subjects of Interest
- Christian Growth
- Personal Witness
- Articles related to the Salvation Army’s mission of preaching the Gospel and helping people in need, and articles that portray Salvation Army personnel & programs.
- We look for submissions that address contemporary topics and concerns in ways that inspire people to grow in faith.
- We welcome well-researched articles that help individuals and families live victoriously within the context of modern life (marriage, parenting, stress, loss, personal growth).
- Profiles of people and programs that are making a positive impact for the gospel.
- Articles should show by example and by careful research why the given topic, profile, or feature is meaningful for readers and how it can improve their lives.
Published 12 times per year, with special issues at Christmas and Easter. The average circulation is 175,000 copies monthly, 1.9 million at Christmas and 1 million at Easter.
What to Submit________________________________________________
• Photographs (600 dpi)
• Fiction (Limited)
• Prefer New Living Translation
Payment made at time of acceptance
• $0.35 per word for first rights, one-time use articles
• $0.15 per word for reprints
Submit articles for a particular theme 60 days prior to the issue date.
Please limit these submissions to 800 – 1250 words.
Special Christmas and Easter Holiday editions focus on the meaning of the seasons, and include riveting accounts of spiritual rebirth. Submit 6 months prior to the publication of these issues.
Photos accompanying submissions, where appropriate, make submissions more compelling.
Brief news items and sidebar pieces also accepted.
Please limit these submissions to 100 – 400 words.
|Use Our Submission Form.|
Response time for approval 3 to 4 weeks
War Cry Theme List – 2016
|January||Holy Living: The Salvation Army’s adherence to the Wesleyan Holiness teaching|
|February||Love in Action: Acts of service, focusing on Community Cares as well as other Salvation Army ministries. Can include individual acts of loving service.|
|March||The Power of the Resurrection: both as an event but also as the major change agent in Western culture|
|April||Pathway of Hope: the plight of intergenerational poverty and what is being done about it by The Salvation Army; a review of homelessness may also be included|
|May||Women in Ministry: how women continue to provide spiritual leadership inside and outside of The Salvation Army|
|June||Salvation Army camps: Both away and day camps, Salvation Army recreational programs, etc.|
|July||Heritage Issue: the 1930s|
|August||Education: Christian education within The Salvation Army, i.e., Corps Cadets, Junior Soldiers, as well as higher education, i.e. William and Catherine Booth College, Asbury, etc|
|September||Internationalism of The Salvation Army: includes work of SAWSO, Salvation Army cultural expressions within USA, and Salvation Army’s worldwide reach of evangelism|
|October||Loneliness: With the approach of the holidays, how The Salvation Army works to include the forgotten and lonely. Includes community dinners, Christmas visitation, etc.|
|November||Persecuted Christians: Beginning with the first Christian martyrs to those suffering oppression and persecution in the 21st Century|
|December||Silent Night: Slowing down to hear the message of Christmas|
War Cry Theme List – 2017
|January||Mission: Organizational, individual.|
|February||Extraordinary Love: Caregivers, substitute parents, mentors.|
|March||Self-denial: Tied to Lent. Denying self in a self-indulgent and materialistic world.|
|May||Officership: Responding to a call, a life of service. Also, something on local officership.|
|June||My Father’s World: How God speaks and works through nature.|
|July||Heritage Issue: the 1940s.|
|August||Advancing Army: Evangelism and corps growth.|
|September||Power and Ministry of Prayer|
|October||Celebrating the 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation|
|November||Thankful Heart: Tied to Thanksgiving, Veteran’s Day.|