Subjects of Interest
- Christian Growth
- Personal Witness
- Articles related to the Salvation Army’s mission of preaching the Gospel and helping people in need, and articles that portray Salvation Army personnel & programs.
- We look for submissions that address contemporary topics and concerns in ways that inspire people to grow in faith.
- We welcome well-researched articles that help individuals and families live victoriously within the context of modern life (marriage, parenting, stress, loss, personal growth).
- Profiles of people and programs that are making a positive impact for the gospel.
- Articles should show by example and by careful research why the given topic, profile, or feature is meaningful for readers and how it can improve their lives.
Published 12 times per year, with special issues at Christmas and Easter. The average circulation is 175,000 copies monthly, 1.9 million at Christmas and 1 million at Easter.
What to Submit________________________________________________
• Photographs (600 dpi)
• Fiction (Limited)
• Prefer New Living Translation
Payment made at time of acceptance
• $0.35 per word for first rights, one-time use articles
• $0.15 per word for reprints
Submit articles for a particular theme 60 days prior to the issue date.
Please limit these submissions to 800 – 1250 words.
Special Christmas and Easter Holiday editions focus on the meaning of the seasons, and include riveting accounts of spiritual rebirth. Submit 6 months prior to the publication of these issues.
Photos accompanying submissions, where appropriate, make submissions more compelling.
Brief news items and sidebar pieces also accepted.
Please limit these submissions to 100 – 400 words.
Response time for approval 3 to 4 weeks
War Cry Theme List – 2017
|January 2017||Mission: Organizational, individual.|
|February 2017||Extraordinary Love: Caregivers, substitute parents, mentors.|
|March 2017||Self-denial: Tied to Lent. Denying self in a self-indulgent and materialistic world.|
|May 2017||Officership: Responding to a call, a life of service. Also, something on local officership.|
|June 2017||My Father’s World: How God speaks and works through nature.|
|July 2017||Heritage Issue: the 1940s.|
|August 2017||Advancing Army: Evangelism and corps growth.|
|September 2017||Power and Ministry of Prayer|
|October 2017||Celebrating the 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation|
|November 2017||Thankful Heart: Tied to Thanksgiving, Veteran’s Day.|
War Cry Theme List – 2018
|January 2018||Sanctity of Life: Dealing with issues such as abortion, euthanasia, poverty, terrorism, and genocide.|
|February 2018||Welcome Home: Based on the Prodigal Son, stories and articles about people being restored or coming into relationship with Christ for the first time.|
|March 2018||Easter. (April 1)|
|April 2018||Praise Him! : Exploring multiple ways to praise the Lord, i.e., music, dramatic arts, poetry, etc.|
|May 2018||Salvation Army 101: to coincide with National Salvation Army week, an issue that explains what The Salvation Army is, its worldwide presence, how someone becomes a Salvationist, etc. (Reprint possibilities as well as adaptation for localized editions of the War Cry.)|
|June 2018||Holy Spirit, Come, O Come: To coincide with Pentecost (June 4), issue to center on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit as well as holiness of life.|
|July 2018||Heritage Edition — 1940s|
|August 2018||Kids! : Issue to center on children (0-12 years). Education, Salvation Army youth programming, child evangelism.|
|September 2018||Sleeves Rolled Up: The importance of vocation and work, Christian guidelines to careers, biblical view of work.|
|October 2018||Strangest Things: A Christian View of the Supernatural: How should we view things like the horoscope, fortune tellers, contacting the dead? Should Christians support shows and movies on the supernatural? What are the dangers?|
|November 2018||Someone cares: Consolation for the lonely, the ill, the prisoner.|